Thursday, July 17, 2014

Iceland // Geysers and Hot Springs






















Adam and I are big fans of Airbnb. It's a lot of fun getting to meet new people when we travel and it's definitely an added bonus that while we're making these fun new connections, we're also paying way less for a room than we would be paying at a hotel.

That being said, for a few days we stayed with a family we found on Airbnb in Hafnarfjörður, a town just south of Reykjavik. The owners were nice and welcoming and even left fresh milk, granola, cereal, juice, and fruit for us to eat in the morning. Our room was itty bitty (roughly the size of a walk-in closet) and we shared a bathroom with another couple staying in the room down the hall. The only slightly unfortunate situation was the fact that we could hear someone puking upstairs for a little over an hour while we were trying to get to sleep, and there seemed to be a handful of cat fights happening just outside our window on and off for most of the night. Minor mishaps in the grand scheme of things... Plus we only paid $27 a night to sleep there, so hey, no complaints here!

On our last free day in Iceland, we headed to "Around Iceland," a tourist information center in downtown Reykjavik and picked up a rental car. (The people there are super friendly by the way, so if you have plans to visit Iceland and need help with anything, don't hesitate to wander in there!) We drove from Reykjavik over to the geysers and hot springs to the east, and then traveled back south to Grindavik where we stayed a night at the Blue Lagoon. We stopped along the way to photograph the awesome scenery and adorable sheep standing near the road in almost every yard we passed.

The colors of the hot springs and geysers were beautiful! The weather wasn't great, but that's Iceland for you. :) We were soaked from head to toe by the time we got back to the car, but it was worth it. I'm so happy we took that time to explore more of the country.

I have a million other photos to share, so I'll try to not slack any longer on posting those!
Promise. (Gah, I'm the worst!)

8 comments:

  1. I love the sheep! Gah. And the geysers are neat- I've never seen one in person but I hope to make it to one our our own national parks soon to cross that off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the geyser video is impressive, I felt there! :) I've never seen them so I must add Iceland to our (never ending) list of future adventures. Love the scenery and sheep (eep! ;P)

    Damaris | The cat, you and us

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so amazing that you two went to Iceland. I have yet had the chance to travel overseas. :( Thanks for all the great travel tips. Also, beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are stunning, I love these kinda post, lots of pictures, beautiful ones ! ;)

    xx sharon @ shasummerwine.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!